December 1 - 5, 2014
Monday, December 1, Read Scholastic News, Come Join the Feast. Answer the questions on the back
Tuesday, December 2 Complete Contractions.
Wednesday, December 3, Study for your spelling test. We will take the test on Thursday this week since we have the Christmas Concert Thursday evening.
Thursday, December 4 No homework Christmas Concert at 7:00 pm. All students should report to the gym no later than 6:45 p.m.
- I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! I certainly did. We had a house full of family and it was so much fun, even with 4 dogs. It was a little crazy every time the door opened and one of the little creatures tried to escape.
- Wednesday is the first Wednesday of the month which means early dismissal at 1:30 pm for a faculty meeting.
- Christmas Concert is Thursday evening at 7:00 pm. Children should arrive no later than 6:45 pm. Look for me in the alcove. I will have a group of seats saved for our class.
- Next Monday, December 8th, Cathedral students will join SMSA students for mass to celebrate the feast of the Immaculate Conception. Mass will be followed by donuts and juice in the cafeteria.
- Next Wednesday, December 10th, is the day for Santa’s Cottage. You should have received information about this already.
Next Friday, December 12th, SMSA students will go to Cathedral to say the rosary in honor of our Lady of Guadalupe.
Week 12 Week 12
Basic Spelling List Alternate Spelling List
Memory Words Memory Words
Challenge Words Challenge Words
Behavior Plan 2004-2015
Mrs. Kinsella’s Class
We have two basic rules in our classroom:
- Show that we love God, ourselves, and others.
- Show that we are thankful for our school, our classroom and the materials in it.
We show that we love God, ourselves, and others when …
1. We are nice to each other. We use kind words.
2. We think for ourselves and make good choices-even when no one is watching.
3. We listen carefully when others (adults and classmates) are speaking.
4. We take turns talking.
5. We tell the truth, even when it is difficult to do so.
6. We choose behaviors that allow our friends to learn without distractions.
7. We use good manners.
8. We help others who need or ask for our help.
9. We play together peacefully and solve problems peacefully.
10. We walk quietly inside school and run outside.
11. We take some time to pray each day.
12. We give our best effort every day to use the brains God has given us to help us learn.
We show that we are thankful for our school, our classroom and the materials in it
- We use all books and materials carefully and respectfully.
- We clean up any messes we create. We work together to clean the big messes.
- We work with our tools and play with our toys.
Learning to 1) demonstrate self-control and 2) show respect for others are very important second grade goals. I do not expect that the children have already mastered these tasks. All children occasionally forget the rules. When that happens I will
1st Give a verbal reminder.
2nd Ask the child to “take a break”. “Take a break” means move away from the group briefly (15-20 seconds) to think about the appropriate behavior. It is not punitive. The children understand that this is their opportunity to demonstrate self-control before a more serious consequence is given.
I also believe in the importance of logical consequences. For example, failure to come to the line when recess is over will result in the loss of the next recess. Misuse of materials may result in a loss of the privilege of using that material for a specific period of time.
Finally, but most importantly, I will celebrate good behavior choices through the use of individual conferences with children, notes to parents, and classroom good behavior celebrations.
Important Dates for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist
- Wednesday, January 14th, First communion Meeting for Parents, 7:00 pm at St. Mary’s
- Rite of Enrollment for First Eucharist and Confirmation
Saturday, January 17th, 4:30 pm mass at St. Augustine’s
Sunday, January 18th, 10:30 am mass at St. Mary’s
- Wednesday, February 25th, First Reconciliation at St. Mary's
- First Eucharist Retreat, one Saturday morning in March - date still to be determined.
- Saturday, April 18th, First Eucharist Rehearsal, 9:00 am at St. Augustine’s
- Sunday, April 19th, First Eucharist, 10:30 mass at St. Augustine's.
- Monday, April 20th, First Eucharist celebration with the SMSA school family followed by breakfast in the cafeteria. Dismissal of students after breakfast.
No school on Monday, April 20th for 2nd grade students.