September 22-26, 2014
- There will be no homework this week because of the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. The spelling list is attached. Remember, the children may go to the spellingcity.com website and play games with the spelling list words each week. Both the Basic List and the Alternate List are available. I have practiced in the computer lab with each child and all of them should know how to sign on to the website. Enjoy practicing the spelling words this week!
- Our class did a wonderful job at mass last Wednesday. All of the children should be so proud of their effort. We also have been invited to lead the singing a few times this year and, once again, the children are giving such good effort to sing beautifully.
- We are in need of boxes of many sizes for a social studies project. The children will be working in teams to build one of three types of communities: urban, suburban, or rural. The boxes should be no larger than a shoe box and as small as a jewelry box and any size in between.
- Enjoy this beautiful weather! The forecasters are saying our weather will be nice all week.
- Thank you everyone for sending in the special snacks for our testing week.
Week 4 Week 4
Spelling Words Spelling Words
Basic List Alternate List
Memory Words Memory Words
Review Words Review Words
Challenge Words Challenge Words
Behavior Plan 2004-2015
Mrs. Kinsella’s Class
We have two basic rules in our classroom:
- Show that we love God, ourselves, and others.
- Show that we are thankful for our school, our classroom and the materials in it.
We show that we love God, ourselves, and others when …
1. We are nice to each other. We use kind words.
2. We think for ourselves and make good choices-even when no one is watching.
3. We listen carefully when others (adults and classmates) are speaking.
4. We take turns talking.
5. We tell the truth, even when it is difficult to do so.
6. We choose behaviors that allow our friends to learn without distractions.
7. We use good manners.
8. We help others who need or ask for our help.
9. We play together peacefully and solve problems peacefully.
10. We walk quietly inside school and run outside.
11. We take some time to pray each day.
12. We give our best effort every day to use the brains God has given us to help us learn.
We show that we are thankful for our school, our classroom and the materials in it
- We use all books and materials carefully and respectfully.
- We clean up any messes we create. We work together to clean the big messes.
- We work with our tools and play with our toys.
Learning to 1) demonstrate self-control and 2) show respect for others are very important second grade goals. I do not expect that the children have already mastered these tasks. All children occasionally forget the rules. When that happens I will
1st Give a verbal reminder.
2nd Ask the child to “take a break”. “Take a break” means move away from the group briefly (15-20 seconds) to think about the appropriate behavior. It is not punitive. The children understand that this is their opportunity to demonstrate self-control before a more serious consequence is given.
I also believe in the importance of logical consequences. For example, failure to come to the line when recess is over will result in the loss of the next recess. Misuse of materials may result in a loss of the privilege of using that material for a specific period of time.
Finally, but most importantly, I will celebrate good behavior choices through the use of individual conferences with children, notes to parents, and classroom good behavior celebrations.
Important Dates for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist
- Wednesday, January 14th, First communion Meeting for Parents, 7:00 pm at St. Mary’s
- Rite of Enrollment for First Eucharist and Confirmation
Saturday, January 17th, 4:30 pm mass at St. Augustine’s
Sunday, January 18th, 10:30 am mass at St. Mary’s
- Wednesday, February 25th, First Reconciliation at St. Mary's
- First Eucharist Retreat, one Saturday morning in March - date still to be determined.
- Saturday, April 18th, First Eucharist Rehearsal, 9:00 am at St. Augustine’s
- Sunday, April 19th, First Eucharist, 10:30 mass at St. Augustine's.
- Monday, April 20th, First Eucharist celebration with the SMSA school family followed by breakfast in the cafeteria. Dismissal of students after breakfast.
No school on Monday, April 20th for 2nd grade students.